Skip to content

May 2, 2015

FY2016 Line Officer Board Schedule

by airforceotsguy

Disclaimer:  I do not have a need to stay up-to-date on the board schedule.  I will do my best to keep this updated for you all, but if you notice a discrepancy please post a comment to let me know.

Last update:  23 August 2016

Basically the first thing you should do is check the schedule to see when the next upcoming board is.  Check the SharePoint of AF Portal sites for the most up-to-date information because it changes often.

Board #
Application cut-off
Board Date
Estimated Release Date

16OT01 (Non-Rated)
4 Sep 15
19-23 Oct 15
18 Dec 15 (pushed back from 4 Dec 15)

16OTRPA
30 Oct 15
18-20 Nov 15
18 Dec 15

16OT02 (Rated)
4 Jan 16 (pushed back from 23 Nov 15)
25-29 Jan 16
4 Mar 16

16OT03 (Non-Rated)
8 Feb 16 (pushed back from 15 Jan 16)
29 Feb – 4 Mar 16
15 Apr 16 (Delayed!  Estimated delay is approximately three weeks)

16OTTDSP
20 Jun 16 (pushed back from 6 Jun 16)
11-15 Jul 16
5 Aug 16

16OT04 (Rated)
27 Jun 16 (pushed back from 13 Jun 16)
25-29 Jul 16
31 Aug 16
9 Sep 16? – unconfirmed

Notes:

1.  Applications must be loaded in share point and at HQ processor level in AFRISS TF by Cut-off daet.  Late applications will not be processed.

2.  Board schedule may change depending on Line Officer Accession target adjustments as needed by AF/A1.

3.  GPA waivers are only considered for exceptionalRated/Non-Rated applicants with a minimum cumulative score of 150 when adding the AFOQT sub-scores of Academic Aptitude (AA), Verbal (V), and Quantitative (Q), and additionally a minimum AA score of 60 is required. ***Refer to FY16 BOT Line Officer Handbook.***

4.  AFOQT waivers will NOT be entertained.

EDIT 7/29/2015:  This stuff changes frequently so post a comment if something is outdated, and I will fix it.  Thanks!

EDIT 9/11/2015:  Updated with the latest info from SharePoint.

EDIT 12/21/2015:  Updated Note 1 and board dates with latest info from SharePoint.

EDIT 3/17/2016:  Crossed off completed boards.

EDIT 4/30/2016:  Updated info for 16OT03 board.

EDIT 8/23/2016:  Crossed off 16OTTDSP and 16OT04 application and board dates.

EDIT 9/4/2016:  Added 9 Sep 16 date to 16OT04 board.

EDIT 9/13/2016:  Lined through all boards due to final board release PSDM.

Read more from Schedules
72 Comments Post a comment
  1. Anonymous
    Apr 29 2016

Has anyone heard is the release date is still 29 April?

2. Apr 29 2016

Anyone heard anything yet?

3. May 1 2016

I just checked and the official word was, “The Release for the 16OT03 Non-rated board has been delayed. Estimated delay timeframe is approximately three weeks.”

4. May 1 2016

You may have more luck on airforceots forums. The people there are much more in-tune with the minute to minute play-by-play.

5. Jun 2 2016

So I recently found out from my recruiter that the decision was a no for the non rated board. He cited my GPA (2.67). I had an overall cumulative score on my AFOQT of the AA, Q and V of 172 (but AA was 58). That doesn't guarantee that GPA is waived correct?

And do you think it's worth it to try again on the non-rated board? Or to try rated the next time?

6. Jun 2 2016

They just changed the GPA minimum to 2.5 so you meet the requirement. Even if you didn't having an AA of 58 means you are barely eligible for a waiver, but this is moot because you meet the minimum GPA requirement and don't need a waiver. It is always worth it to try again. Send me your application and I'll see if I can provide a neutral third party perspective so you can brainstorm how to improve it.

7. Jun 5 2016

Antonio, For some reason I can't reply to the emails you sent me. Feel free to email me your application and I would be glad to provide input on it. I also answered one of your other questions so hopefully we can reconnect.

8. Anonymous
    Jun 17 2016

I have a few questions:
    1) How long does it usually take from submission of your OTS application to actually going to OTS? I want to apply in Dec and hope to leave right after I graduate in May.

2) Will an average first few years of college hold me back? I have just realized that I want to join the Air Force and in the year prior I did poorly in college (2.0 that year; 3.1 GPA overall), but I can reach a 3.29 if I do what I am supposed. Will that one poor year hurt my chances?

3) Just wondering, why have they lowered the GPA from 3.0 to 2.5? And will a 3.29 be good enough to get in? I ask about the 3.29 because a Navy officer recruiter told me that a 3.3 would not be good enough.

I apologize for asking so much at one time.

9. Jun 18 2016

Keep the questions coming! Feel free to email me as well if that is easier.

1) The timeline is hard to judge. I would say people typically ship out 6-9 months after board results are released but everyone's situation is going to be different. Keep in mind it is also common for board result release dates to be pushed back. Here is my timeline: http://journeytoairforceots.blogspot.com/search/label/Select

2) As far as I know final/overall GPA is what matters most, but your first year will be evident on your transcript if they look at it. From what I understand you have an academic board score where they assess your college, AFOQT, etc so this would come into play here. The 'chances' are very big picture so it isn't really graded like that. Shoot for the highest GPA you can get and just roll with it. Make every other aspect of your application as strong as possible and that is basically all you can do.

3) I think they lowered the GPA because they want to get as many good applicants boarded and through OTS as possible. I would guess the board staff did an evaluation of what was keeping good people from being selected and how much the GPA really means for officer potential (very little) so they lowered it to get more applicants. Your GPA either meets requirements or it doesn't. 4.0 would be strongly competitive when compared to perfect AFOQT scores, and 2.5 would be weak. 3.29 is well above the 2.5 line so there is no reason in my opinion that it would not be competitive. The GPA is such a small part of the application though so you also need to be thinking about AFOQT, other aspects of education such as writing/resume writing skills, leadership skills, experience, and everything else I talk about in my blog.

10. Anonymous
    Jul 6 2016

Hi,

I'm applying for 16OTTDSP however my Afoqt score was 20 for verbal but I needed 25 for qualifications. But I did well on all the other sections: passed physical, did well during interview, passed GPA requirements, and passed math portion of afoqt. Do you think I have a chance or not really?

11. Jul 7 2016

You will have to pass the AFOQT minimums to even apply. Are you able to test again? The AFOQT is one portion of the academic area of your application. I have heard others assessed areas include leadership, adaptability, and Letter of Recommendations. In other words the AFOQT is a small portion of the assessed areas so I encourage you to meet the minimums then absolutely apply. A third factor is that I understand TDSP is always in need so AFOQT impact may be different. It really depends on the specific board and the others who applied though.

12. Anonymous
    Jul 17 2016

Thanks. If I plan on applying in Dec when should I start getting things together. I read a few other posts and it seeems like I have to take the AFOQT before I can do anything else. In what order do things go, i.e AFOQT, interview, physical, application, etc.

13. Anonymous
    Jul 17 2016

I forgot to ask one more thing. Since I do not want to become a pilot I am thinking about shifting my focus from that portion of the AFOQT to the others. Is this a good idea or do they look at the overall score rather than the individual ones?

14. Jul 18 2016

Yes take the AFOQT ASAP because it can take a while to get results back (they are snail-mailed to Randolph. You should start everything else as soon as possible so you can better judge the timelines for your personal situation. Medical and the PIF review can take a while (if you are prior). The CC bullets and interview can also take time. There is no set order, you just have to have them all done prior to submission. You should strive for the best scores you can get for the AFOQT. You never know if things change and you can only take the AFOQT twice in your life. Also, I am not sure to what extent your scores are scrutinized for academics but it may look weird if you ace the quantitative but bomb the pilot/nav. That may be interpreted as a negative impression of your character.

15. Tamara
    Aug 5 2016

How many boards a year for non-rated? Is it always two? And does this mean there are two OTS classes a year?

16. Aug 5 2016

For the past two years there have been two NR boards. They readjust the quotas and schedule every year, but I would expect to continue to see two. No, for OTS I think there are around eight classes every year. OTS commissions everyone not just NR so they have to have more classes.

17. Aug 23 2016

Has the release date for 16OTTDSP (August 5) been delayed?

18. Aug 23 2016

I just checked the SharePoint and didn't see any updates on the 16OTTDSP board.

19. Anonymous
    Aug 31 2016

How often are their delays for release dates? For 16OT04, is 31 AUG when Commanders are notified or will it be publicly released at that time? I have not heard a word from anyone or the website of any updates so I am assuming that it is delayed.

20. Aug 31 2016

Delays are common. Usually the results are on MyPers on the public release date. I'll log in later to see if there is anthing on a delay.

21. Anonymous
    Sep 14 2016

The result was release today in MyPers for 16OT04.

22. Sep 14 2016

Thanks for posting this! I'll also put a note on the Facebook page.