Skip to content

July 23, 2015

Ask Me Questions! Q&A From an OTS Selectee

by airforceotsguy

I have posted the majority of information I wanted to post, and it looks like most of you are benefiting from the information.  I still have a few months until I leave for OTS so post some questions or requests for other posts!  Life is crazy busy as always but I will do my best.

UPDATE 5/27/2016:  Most people just email me questions and I answer them.  If I get a FAQ I do a post about it so this post may be more of a snapshot in time than a reference-able FAQ.

8/10/2015
Q:  How were your test scores/GPA?  Also, how far in advance of your board did you start compiling you documents?  Specifically, the AFPC Master PF review?

A:  My scores were P80s/CSO90s/ABM90s/AA70s/V70s/Q63 (I can’t remember exactly and don’t have my score sheet handy.  This was under the old version (S I think).  My GPA was 3.69.  IMO you should shoot to have your Master PF review memo back from AFPC around the three months out from submission deadline.  Once my commander requested, it came back from AFPC about a week later.  Three months is the sweet spot.  Six months is too early (especially if boards are delayed) and one months is probably too late (strictly for peace of mind, but also if there are complications).  My commander said October in preparation for my January submission deadline so that’s what I did, and it made a lot of sense for me.  Start your OTS applicant profile and personal statement as early as possible, but don’t do the formal paperwork with signatures (LOR, FM 56) until just before submission.

8/19/2015
Q:  I am planning on applying after I receive my first EPR next year so my question is, what advice would you give a relatively fresh A1C as far as being competitive?  Also, I have a non-technical degree which, from everything I gather, bumps the difficulty up a bit.

Thank you again for the great info!

A:  During my career I always strove to be the best at everything I did.  Luckily for me, I was noticed and it paid off.  As a young Airman your first job is to complete your CDCs and get qualified at doing your job (either formally or informally).  If you want to stand out, do this fast, do it well, and do it with a positive attitude.  After you are qualified and finish your CDCs, you will need to seek additional responsibilities and get involved in your community.  Notice I did not say “volunteer.”  In my opinion it is more beneficial to get involved in a cause you are passionate about and make a difference.  When I was an Airman this happened to be the Base Advisory Council because there were a lot of things I thought could have been done better, and I wanted to make an impact.  The typical volunteer opportunities are great, but it is hard to stand out from your peers if you are volunteering by doing the same things they are doing.  Do something unique, that fits you, that again, makes an impact.

If you are good at what you do and are truly the best of the best, you will easily stand out to your leadership.  Your leadership will put you in positions to be successful, put you in for awards, help you achieve SrA Below-the-Zone or other professional goals, and the rest should fall into place.  At that point it is a matter of seeking mentorship from everyone you trust and respect, listening to their advice, and incorporating them into your daily life.  Work hard on every aspect of your application (AFOQT, LOR, interview, etc), and like I said, the rest should fall into place.  If you don’t get accepted the first time, try again.  Failure is something that has matured and developed me into the person and leader I am today.

It is hard to gauge the importance of your degree without knowing what you are aiming for.  I don’t think the major alone makes a difference on your board score.  I believe every aspect of the strongest packages are formulated along a common purpose or goal.  If you have a non-tech degree and want a job in space, you may have a harder time defining your purpose.  If your goal is to serve your country as an officer in any field, your degree will apply or meet the requirement just like any other.  GPA is probably more important than your major.

The last little bit of advice I will throw in is to be yourself.  Never lose sight of who you are because you have a goal and are competing with your peers.  Be a good person, be respectable, and be an example.  The will carry you much farther than an undeserved SrA BTZ stripe.

9/17/2015

Q:  Does anyone know the process of being one year away from obtaining your bachelor’s and applying.  Is it a waiver and how many classes is considered a year?

A:  Air Force Instruction (AFI) 36-2013 states:

3.2. Eligibility requirements for Officer Training School (OTS).  OTS applicants must:

3.2.2. Have earned a baccalaureate degree or higher or must meet one of the following conditions:
3.2.2.1. Is within 365 days of graduation from a college or university that is regionally or nationally accredited and is listed in the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System located on the website http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/, maintained by the U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics.

When you apply, you will need to upload your official transcripts to prove you are within 365 days of graduating.  I think the way they verify this is based on the number of credits you have toward your degree.  If you are in a four year 120 credit program, 90 credits would be within 365 days as long as you stay on track.  If you don’t stay on track and can’t finish your degree within one year of completion, you will risk losing your slot to OTS.

The key to this would be communication with the AFRS staff.  I would make yourself a conservative projected schedule for class completion and apply when you are safe to apply.  I would hate to be in the situation where you are scrambling to get your degree done right before you leave for OTS.  Whatever you do, just be sure you talk to the staff (Rose) to know you are safe.  They will have other information I do not have, if applicable, because I never went through this (my degree was conferred).

12/12/2015

Q:  Sir, I am filling out my Form 56 and I could not remember the details of a traffic I had several years ago.  Do I absolutely have to put that in there?  I requested my driving record from the DMV but it only shows information from last three years.  Please advise.  Thank you!

A:  The big picture is the board wants to get a feel for who you are, so include what you need to include to tell them who you are.  For your situation it will depend on what the traffic incident was.  If it was just a minor ticket it is up to you, but if it was a major accident or a DUI I would definitely include.  If you don’t have all of the details, just use your best estimate and provide as much information as you can.  Whatever you do, just ask yourself if you are doing the right thing or misleading the board.  If you consider yourself good to go, you should be good to go.  At some point it is a matter of integrity.

EDIT 1/29/2017:

Join my Facebook group to get more perspectives or inputs on your questions!

Read more from Updates
23 Comments Post a comment
  1. Aug 10 2015

How were you test scores/GPA? Also, how far in advance of your board did you start compiling you documents? Specifically, the AFPC Master PF review?

2. Aug 10 2015

Thank you for your question. My response is posted above.

3. Anonymous
    Aug 19 2015

I am planning on applying after I receive my first EPR next year so my question is, what advice would you give a relatively fresh A1C as far as being competitive? Also, I have a non-technical degree which, from everything I gather, bumps the difficulty up a bit.

Thank you again for the great info!

4. Aug 20 2015

Your welcome! Your Q and my A are posted above. Feel free to reply.

5. Anonymous
    Oct 10 2015

I've already had a moral waiver when I enlisted 13 years ago, will I need another?

6. Anonymous
    Oct 30 2015

This may sound like a dumb question, but what is the Applicant Profile? Is it an official form? I'm very confused by this, as Table 3.1 of AFI 36-2013 lists the Applicant Profile under Rule 2, and the BOT Guide places a lot of emphasis on the App-Profile as well, but does not describe exactly what it is or how it is created. Is the App Profile synonymous with Form 56? I only ask because Form 56 is listed separately on Table 3.1 of AFI 36-2013. Any info you have is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
    Nick

7. Nov 11 2015

This comment has been removed by the author.

8. Nov 11 2015

Yes you will need a new one. The general rule is everything must be current within six months from the board convene date.

9. Anonymous
    Nov 20 2015

Thanks a bunch. This whole application process has been stressing me out with completing my degree and studying for the AFOQT. With the separation of the Education Centers from being able to help us, your advice here in this forum has been a great substitution and is of immense help and comfort in completing this tedious process. Thank you.

Respectfully,
    Nick

10. Nov 22 2015

It is basically a resume. There is an example at the end of the electronic submission instructions attachment in the BOT guide. It is not official, it is something you have to generate yourself. Make it match as closely as you can.

11. Nov 22 2015

Nick, you're welcome. I love helping people and this blog has been an effective way to do it (in my opinion). Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

12. Dec 12 2015

Sir, I am filling out my Form 56 and I could not remember the details of a traffic I had several years ago. Do I absolutely have to put that in there? I requested my driving record from DMV but it only shows information from last three years. Please advise. Thank you!

13. Dec 13 2015

Response posted, thanks!

14. Aug 8 2016

Speaking of moral waivers. I was sort of a bad kid. I had multiple run-ins with the law, and ended up getting busted for underage drinking twice before 18, and a DUI when I was 19. I have been enlisted AF for 8 years now, and that DUI was over 10 years ago. Do you have any idea if a moral waiver is even feasible for a DUI? I see in AFI36-2002 you can apply for a waiver, but I'm wondering if it's even worth trying.

My AF record is spotless. I have several awards under my belt, all perfect EPRs, and fantastic PT scores.

Also, I know it's a long shot, but do you know if there is a way to contact the office of the OTS board to run my scenario by them to see what their opinion is? I'd really like to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Joseph Sanders

15. Aug 9 2016

Yes it is absolutely worth applying, especially since you have a spotless AF record. With moral waivers you have to be very careful to directly address the issue in your PS in a way which leaves zero questions in the minds of the board. You should be completely honest with what happened, how it has changed you, and how it has made you a better person. If the board senses you are hiding something or if details do not add up, it will count negatively toward your score.

Sorry I wish I knew someone from the board as well! Your best bet would be to shoot it out to the airforceots forums because I think one of the mods was on a promotion board. You could try calling the AFPC staff but I don't recommend it because they are always so busy and they are just the admin staff.

16. Aug 11 2016

Thank you for your response. I was VERY discouraged when I started digging into the moral disqualification section. I feel a little better about it now. And again, thank you for your write-up here. It has been helpful. Time to start looking into getting that waiver written.

17. Aug 12 2016

No problem. Keep me posted!

18. Jan 11 2017

How soon after your degree was conferred did you actually start OTS? Was it right away or did a few cycles happen between getting your degree and starting OTS?

19. Jan 12 2017

Expect to start OTS 6-12 months after you apply. It can be a long process. I got my degree in 2012 but didn't apply until 2015.

20. Jan 12 2017

Don't have a link to provide, but I recall hearing/reading recently that there is a good one-year wait for OTS class dates, (after being selected).

21. Jan 12 2017

Thanks for the input. One year or less is a safe bet.

22. Feb 22 2017

What would happen if one fails/is dismissed from OTS? Is there any chance he/she can apply again?

23. Feb 24 2017

It depends on what one fails out of, and how many things he/she fails. You can fail something like the initial PT test but recover by showing you are good at passing everything else. Similarly you can fail one or two graded measure but make up for them with extra work or how well your team comes together to help you. It really is a case-by-case basis and they look beyond the individual task but your ability to succeed as a whole person.